Friday, December 14, 2012

Documentary



While I was filming my documentary, I had trouble deciding which direction I wanted to take it in. I could have discussed the pros or cons of social media based off of my film. A lot of people that I interviewed looked at social media in both a positive and negative light, which influenced me to do the same in my documentary. However, I couldn't just outline the pros and cons of social media, I had to pick a clear and concise message, so I tried to discuss some of the benefits of social media and then close in on how those benefits have actually worked against us. I'm pleased with how my documentary turned out as far as the technical aspects of putting it together. Flashing the names of my subjects at the bottom of the screen gave it a more professional look. I wanted to add music, but I really could not think of an appropriate song; although, I don't think that not having music took anything away from the documentary.

Also, I am not sure that I was able to communicate my message clearly enough solely through what I filmed, which is why I added a message at the end of the video so that my viewers weren't confused. If given more time, I think I would have interviewed more people and done multiple interviews with each person. By doing this, I would have been able to use the 30 degree rule and kind of manipulate the film better, and I think that my subjects would have been more relaxed when talking to me. There is one section at the end where the film jumps, and I wish I could have fixed that, but I didn't know what picture I could use there to distract my viewers. With more time, I could have also followed my interviewees around to observe their use of social media in a typical day. I wanted to add more pictures (like the tweets with audio playing simultaneously), but I did not have enough time to pick through the interviews again and extract small clips. Overall, I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with my work. I'm proud to say that I was able to make a mini movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment