Thursday, November 1, 2012

Revised Documentary Proposal


For my documentary, I plan to examine the major personality differences between those who frequently use or depend on social media and those who refrain from using it or use it minimally. I expect to find that those who use social media frequently are a) very social and outgoing or b) people who have a difficult time communicating in person. Furthermore, I expect that people who don't use social media often are perhaps busier than those who do or just simply well-informed via watching the news and keeping in touch with relatives.

The importance of this documentary is in the idea that verbal communication is changing. People are becoming less social and personable as a result of depending on texting and Twitter. Speaking is a skill that fewer and fewer people have now. Twitter and text messaging reduce our language to less than 200 characters, forcing us to omit letters from words and exclude important details from messages. Let's not forget to mention people are speaking in IM!

My audience is UK freshmen, specifically those who rely heavily on social media. I want people to see the effect that Facebook and Twitter have had on our society’s language.

I plan to shoot a few scenes in the dorm rooms or possibly at the library to have a personal interview with my subjects and find out why they do or do not use social media frequently and how their personality differs from a person who does the opposite. I’m hoping that I can film a shot of girls saying, "OMG" or "IDK." Also, I want to film some shots of my shy person texting or instant messaging a family member or friend as opposed to calling them. My goal is to shape my documentary to show the potential negative long-term results of using Facebook and Twitter too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment